Friday, May 29, 2015

A-Wandering a poem by Liam UiCearbhaill

Part of my love of poetry is in simply playing with the sounds and meanings of words. When I can combine it with themes from ancient Celtic tales I am even more pleased. This has always been one of my favorite poems. I originally published it as a poster, then included it in the first edition of Poetry's Purpose and (of course) in the revised edition. As with all of my poetry it is best appreciated if you say aloud.

This poem is in the collection Poetry's Purpose

Available for Kindle download at http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YX2VZ78

Available in Printed version at http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uicearbhaill
=============================================================

A-Wandering


If I should go a-wandering
A-wondering
A-lumbering
If I should go a-slumbering
All through the ancient woods

And find therein a meadow bright
On starry night
With Faery light
And they should not take all a-fright
But meet with me for good

And should I then come all undone
As rising sun
Is ending fun
And leave me sitting sad and glum
All in that meadow green?

Where flowers form a merry crown
With dew around
On daisyed ground
But still my mood is dark and brown
From missing what I’ve seen

Then shall I go a-stumbling
A-bumbling
A-crumbling
As to my home I’m trumbling
All through that sylvan gloom

And there I’ll find my measly hole
That teasing goal
My broken gaol
And there I’ll find my private Sheol
Swept on depressions broom

For once I have seen Faery land
With gladdened bands
And monarchs grand
For once on Faery Hill I’d stand
I’d never more have peace

Within this realm’s mundanity
Stupidity
Rapidity
Within this world’s lucidity
Nay! Sure I’d seek release


No comments:

Post a Comment